Red Pepper Hummus
Forget about spending a lot of money on grocery store hummus. Making your own is just too easy. And the red pepper gives it a different flavor than your usual variety. Serves 8 as an appetizer.
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large roasted red pepper, skin and seeds removed
- 1 head roasted garlic, husks removed (about 10 cloves)–see Roasted Garlic recipe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Wrap red pepper in foil. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool.
- Remove skin and seeds from pepper. Squeeze cooked garlic cloves from bottom to remove from head.
- Place all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
- Serve with raw colorful vegetables.
THE SEASONED COOK Roast red pepper and garlic at the same time. In a taste test, the flavor of roasted garlic proved more subtle than raw.