Waist Not, Want Not Refrigerator Soup
Got leftovers? You have the makings of a great soup. Start with cooked lean meat or low-fat sausage, then add two cups of fresh or cooked veggies on hand. And don’t forget the freezer, where all kinds of treasures await. Serves 6.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup barley, rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, black pepper
- 1 cup water
- plus leftovers from the refrigerator or freezer
- Heat oil in a heavy pot on medium high and sauté onion for 4 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add carrot and celery and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender, about 35-40 minutes.
- 10 minutes before completion, add leftovers below, heat through and serve.
THE SEASONED COOK The numerous veggies in the soup base provide not just rich flavor, but antioxidants like beta carotene and lycopene too.