Turkey Chili Verde
Everyone needs a basic chili recipe for big gatherings. Here’s ours. What’s fun about this one is that it’s heart healthy and guilt-free, so make extra for second helpings! Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ 4-ounce can whole green chilies, seeded and chopped fine
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1½ 14.5-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 12-ounce can whole tomatillos, seeded and chopped with juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped fine with green portion
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, low sodium, low-fat, shredded
- Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, chilies, and ground turkey. Sauté until turkey is lightly browned and vegetables are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add white beans, tomatillos, and chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve and add sour cream. Garnish with cheddar cheese and green onions.