Angelic Deviled Eggs
Definitely not your mother’s deviled eggs! An excellent source of protein, our version is much less devilish because we’ve replaced half the egg yolks with low-fat cottage cheese, and then blended it all together with a spike of hot mustard and a pinch of dill. So dig in with a “devil-may-care”attitude…they’re heavenly! Serves 8.
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard or prepared wasabi
- 3 tablespoons nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Place eggs in large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil then simmer 15 minutes.
- Cool eggs by draining hot water and filling sauce pan with cold water 2 or 3 times, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Carefully crack and remove shells, then cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolk portions, discarding half.
- Place remaining yolk portions with next four ingredients in blender and puree until smooth, about 15 seconds.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of mixture in cavity of egg halves. Garnish with dill weed and paprika.
THE SEASONED COOK Substituting nonfat cottage cheese for half of the egg yolks cuts the cholesterol and fat content by 25% – and no one will know!