Creamy Portobello Burgers
These heart-healthy burgers are so meaty that you’ll wonder what took you so long try them! One Portobello is loaded with 18 different vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, which helps you battle inflammation, too. Serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 1 large onion, halved and cut in ¼-inch strips
- 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, seeded and cut in ¼-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon each of thyme and sage
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, divided
- Turn on broiler, set to high or 500°.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped mushroom stems, onions, peppers and herbs until onions are translucent.
- On a cookie sheet, broil mushroom caps stem side down for 2-3 minutes. Turn over and broil stem side up for 3-4 minutes until liquid starts to accumulate in cap of mushroom.
- Spread goat cheese in each cap and broil for 2 more minutes. Top with cooked vegetables and optional serving ideas as shown here.
The Seasoned Cook All of these toppings work well for meat and fish burgers as well.