Savory Shrimp and White Bean Stew
Here’s a “shrimply delicious” option for a heart-healthy dinner tonight! This stew features succulent shrimp, rich in omega-3 fatty acids and creamy cannellini beans, a super source of protein and soluble dietary fiber. Serves 4.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 ½ cups cooked)
- 1 14-ounce can diced low-sodium tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil, and rosemary
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound frozen shrimp, thawed and peeled
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion softens, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cannellini beans, tomatoes, oregano, basil, and rosemary.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the stew is slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add parsley and serve.
THE SEASONED COOK For a heartier meal, serve this stew over a scoop of cooked brown rice. Nutrition Goldmine: Beans are an excellent source of protein, are relatively low in calories, cholesterol-free, low in fat and a good source of soluble dietary fiber.